National Cancer Prevention Day
A resolution introduced by Representative Steve Israel Highlighting Less Cancer’s Efforts to Bring Attention to Cancer Prevention
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
The Cannon Building – Cannon Caucus Room 27 Independence Avenue SE • Washington, D.C. Doors Open 9:00 AM
2015 marks the third year that the resolution has been part of Less Cancer’s efforts to bring attention to prevention. Currently, as part of Less Cancer’s effort, there are individual states recognizing Cancer Prevention Day including Virginia, Michigan, New Hampshire, and New York. These states have done so either through resolutions or proclamations.
This year, there will be a Less Cancer panel discussion moderated by Less Cancer board member and author of A World Without Cancer, Margaret I. Cuomo, M.D.
2015 Speakers and Panelists include:
- Bill Couzens, Founder and President of Less Cancer
- Less Cancer Leadership Award Jon J Whelan
- Veronique Pittman, Less Cancer Board Member and community organizer striving to bring sustainable, creative, resourceful abundance to the whole
- Less Cancer Bike Riders including Miles O’Brien and ride leader Suzi Tobias
- Ronald B. Herberman, M.D. Memorial Speaker David L. Katz, M.D., MPH, FACPM, FACP, Internist and Preventive Medicine specialist
- Lawrence “Bopper” Deyton, M.S.P.H., M.D., Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Public Health at GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Sandra Read, M.D., Co-Chair of the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention
- Tom Sherman, M.D., Chairman of the Board, Less Cancer
- Graham A. Colditz, M.D., Dr PH, The 2014 Ronald B. Herberman, M.D. Memorial Lecturer: Niess-Gain Professor of Surgery, Professor of Medicine, Chief, Division of Public Health Sciences,Deputy Director, Institute for Public Health, Washington University in St. Louis, Member, Institute of Medicine
- E. Janie Heath, Ph.D., APRN, ACNP-BC, FAAN, Dean and Warwick Professor of Nursing, UK College of Nursing
- John Groopman, Ph.D.
- Christopher Loffredo, Ph.D.
- Deborah Raphael, Director, San Francisco Department of the Environment
- Marc Schwartz, Ph.D.
- David Widawsky, Ph.D.
- Congressman Steve Israel, U.S. Representative for New York’s Third Congressional District
- Congressman Charlie Dent, U.S. Representative for Pennsylvania’s Fifteenth Congressional District
- Congresswomen Debbie Dingell, U.S. Representative for Michigan’s Twelfth District
- Congressman Don Beyer, U.S Representative for Virginia’s Eighth Congressional District